Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Musical Elective Of The Month: March 2010

After a lengthy "sabbatical" focusing on the birth of our daughter, I am back at the turntable, offering up a Musical Elective Of The Month. I was reminded of not offering up a recent musical suggestion this past Friday evening, when Sara and I went to see Justin Townes Earle -- the subject of the last Musical Elective back in November -- at the High Noon Saloon in Madison.

The Musical Elective Of The Month is Kim Taylor.

Kim, a Cincinnati-based singer/songwriter, jumped out at me through Pandora Radio because of her song, "My Dress Is Hung." From her music I hear country, jazz and soul influences and she has been described by critics as offering "emotional songwriting" and "smoky vocals."

She has independently released two full-length albums (including 2006's I Feel Like A Fading Light) and two EPs. Her new EP, Little Miracle (December 2009), is a digital-only release for now, and is available on her web site [below].

WXPN's David Dye offers up a nice profile of Kim, as well as some selected tracks from World Cafe, in this piece for NPR Music. There was also a great profile of Kim in Paste Magazine in August 2009.

For more, visit Kim's official web site, or her Facebook or MySpace pages.

My dress is hung beside the bed
And I usually pray to it instead
Keep me honest cuz I'd rather lie
Keep me young and keep me satisfied

---------------------

For past Musical Electives, please visit here.